Attacks continue on Chinese vessels in Mekong
Beijing: A Chinese vessel was attacked by
unidentified gunmen on the Mekong river in Laos, officials
said on Sunday, even as China and three other nations stepped up
The Shengtai-11 was returning from Thailand to Guanlei
Port in Xishuangbanna prefecture of southwest China`s Yunnan
Province when it encountered gunfire. No one is injured.
The attack occurred on a section of the Mekong River that
runs through Laos, sources with a joint patrol command said.
The river is a major regional transportation route shared
by China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand.
Laos police arrived on the scene by land to search for
the suspects, while police forces from China and Laos used a
Chinese patrol vessel to arrive at the scene and handle the
situation, state run Xinhua reported.
Chinese police on Saturday started a second joint patrol
with their counterparts from Laos, Myanmar and Thailand in
order to maintain security along the Mekong River.
International transport on the Mekong River fully resumed
after the four nations` law enforcement agencies conducted a
joint patrol on December 10 and stepped up cooperation to
ensure the safety of the river.
Passenger services on the river were suspended for four
months after tourists were robbed in the river`s "Golden
Triangle" area in August.
Shipping services were also halted after 13 Chinese
sailors on two cargo ships were killed in the area on October
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!