Attacks in eastern Libya kill six in 24 hours
Benghazi: A string of attacks in eastern Libya has killed a public prosecutor and five members of the security forces in less than 24 hours, judicial and medical sources have said.
Since the ouster of veteran dictator Moammar Gaddafi in October 2011, eastern Libya has been hit by a wave of bombings and shootings, mostly targeting security officials.
Prosecutor Mohamed al-Naass was killed in the town of Derna yesterday when an explosive device attached to his car detonated, a judicial source told AFP.
Naass was responsible for the "Al-Jabal Al-Akhdar region, east of Benghazi," the source said.
Also yesterday, unidentified gunmen shot dead two traffic policemen, Al-Jala hospital spokeswoman Fadia al-Barghathi told AFP.
In nearby Benghazi, Libya`s second city, gunmen driving past an army checkpoint shot dead two special forces soldiers late on Friday, she said.
Barghathi added that the body of a police lieutenant colonel, Sherif al-Ajili, had been brought to the hospital late on Friday, and that he had been "killed by a gunshot wound to the head".
Troops and police have beefed up their presence in Benghazi to try to check the attacks, although so far their presence has done little to stop the violence.
Libya`s government has struggled to stamp its authority as militias of ex-rebels have carved their own fiefdoms in a country flooded with weapons looted from Kadhafi`s arsenal.
Violence and insecurity have also hit the capital this week.
Two people were killed and 29 others wounded in clashes between rival militias in Tripoli on Thursday, the latest incident in a wave of violence that is terrorising residents and underlines the country`s instability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore