Attacks in northern Nigeria kill 19
Abuja: Nineteen people have been killed over the weekend in northern Nigeria where gunmen attacked two villages of a local community, officials said.
The chairman of the local government, Kumai Badu confirmed the attack on the Ataka community in Kaduna state`s Kaura local government area alleging that the assailants who came with guns were from neighbouring villages.
"19 people were killed while 10 others were critically injured in Mafang and Zilang villages," he said.
The official said the attackers burnt almost all houses in the two villages forcing some 4,500 to flee their homes.
The police spokesman for Kaduna state, Aminu Lawal, also confirmed the attacks, saying they happened between late Saturday and the early hours of Sunday.
Kaduna state is close to Plateau state where the Fulani ethnic group is engaged in a conflict with other groups resulting in deadly attacks and reprisals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy