Attacks kill 4 militants: Yemen tribal officials
Sanaa: Yemeni military attacks on al Qaeda positions in Marib province on Sunday killed four militants, including a senior member of the violent Islamist group, Yemen tribal officials said.
The attacks followed an ambush yesterday that killed eight soldiers, including a senior officer.
The tribal officials said airstrikes and heavy artillery shelling targeted the farm of Said bin Muaily, a senior al Qaeda member. He was killed, along with three others.
The tribal officials said a stray rocket missed its target and instead hit two houses in the Abieda valley in Marib, killing one man and injuring five others, including a child. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the raids with reporters.
The Defense Ministry called yesterday`s attack a "terrorist ambush," confirming that the chief of staff in Yemen`s central military region was killed.
The US considers the local al Qaeda branch the world`s most dangerous. The US has helped Yemen intensify its campaign against the Islamist militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui