Attacks kill 4 militants: Yemen tribal officials
Sanaa: Yemeni military attacks on al Qaeda positions in Marib province on Sunday killed four militants, including a senior member of the violent Islamist group, Yemen tribal officials said.
The attacks followed an ambush yesterday that killed eight soldiers, including a senior officer.
The tribal officials said airstrikes and heavy artillery shelling targeted the farm of Said bin Muaily, a senior al Qaeda member. He was killed, along with three others.
The tribal officials said a stray rocket missed its target and instead hit two houses in the Abieda valley in Marib, killing one man and injuring five others, including a child. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the raids with reporters.
The Defense Ministry called yesterday`s attack a "terrorist ambush," confirming that the chief of staff in Yemen`s central military region was killed.
The US considers the local al Qaeda branch the world`s most dangerous. The US has helped Yemen intensify its campaign against the Islamist militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened