Attacks kill 8 policemen in western Iraqi town
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say shootings and a suicide bombing targeting security checkpoints have killed eight policemen in a remote western town.
Police officers said the first attack took place today night when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a checkpoint at the entrance of Rutba, killing four policemen and wounding five others.
Half an hour later, police said, other four policemen were killed and nine were wounded when gunmen launched separate attacks on three other checkpoints.
Rutba local authorities announced a curfew in the town following the attacks.
Medical officials confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city