Attacks kill 8 policemen in western Iraqi town
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say shootings and a suicide bombing targeting security checkpoints have killed eight policemen in a remote western town.
Police officers said the first attack took place today night when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a checkpoint at the entrance of Rutba, killing four policemen and wounding five others.
Half an hour later, police said, other four policemen were killed and nine were wounded when gunmen launched separate attacks on three other checkpoints.
Rutba local authorities announced a curfew in the town following the attacks.
Medical officials confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad