Attacks kill 8 policemen in western Iraqi town
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say shootings and a suicide bombing targeting security checkpoints have killed eight policemen in a remote western town.
Police officers said the first attack took place today night when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a checkpoint at the entrance of Rutba, killing four policemen and wounding five others.
Half an hour later, police said, other four policemen were killed and nine were wounded when gunmen launched separate attacks on three other checkpoints.
Rutba local authorities announced a curfew in the town following the attacks.
Medical officials confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to media.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know