Attacks kill 8 policemen in western Iraqi town
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say shootings and a suicide bombing targeting security checkpoints have killed eight policemen in a remote western town.
Police officers said the first attack took place today night when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a checkpoint at the entrance of Rutba, killing four policemen and wounding five others.
Half an hour later, police said, other four policemen were killed and nine were wounded when gunmen launched separate attacks on three other checkpoints.
Rutba local authorities announced a curfew in the town following the attacks.
Medical officials confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Powerful 6.8 magnitude quake damages Myanmar`s famed Bagan temples: Police
- Hyundai Elantra 2016: Enjoy 360 Experience drive with Shah Rukh Khan
- Police Scotland make hijab part of official uniform
- Bastian Schweinsteiger not giving up on Manchester United
- England vs Pakistan, 1st ODI: Pak Innings — As it happened...