Attacks on minorities must be curbed: UK minister tells Pakistan
London: A Pakistani-origin British minister has asked Pakistan to curb attacks on minorities, saying the country has been let down throughout its history by serious democratic shortcomings.
"I think of those killed at the All Saints Church in Peshawar in September. 2013 was again another year with too many attacks against minorities and innocent civilians," Sayeeda Warsi, senior UK Foreign Office minister, wrote in her Christmas Day message.
"So today is the day to ask whether Pakistan is living up to the vision spoken by Mohammed Ali Jinnah when he said: `You are free; you are free to go to your temples. You are free to go to your mosques or to any other places of worship in this State of Pakistan," the Conservative party leader said.
The release of the message coincided with the observance of Quaid-e-Azam Day in Pakistan to mark the birth anniversary of its founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah.
"I was born in a small town in the north of the UK, but I was brought up by my parents to know Pakistan, to understand Pakistan and to love Pakistan...You have been let down throughout your history by serious democratic shortcomings, corruption and the scourge of terrorism," the message said.
It highlighted British Prime Minister David Cameron`s visit to the country to mark the "democratic transition of power" as Nawaz Sharif took over as Prime Minister this year.
"You have a dynamic and young population, a growing high- tech sector, and an increasingly vocal and active civil society, epitomised by brave people such as Malala Yousafzai. You have a lot to be proud of. As I`ve said before, a part of my heart will always beat with Pakistan," she said, urging Pakistanis to create a 2014 that the world can be proud of.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3