AU criticises UN `interference` in Guinea
Tripoli: Libya, which currently holds the
African Union presidency has criticised the United Nations for
interfering in Guinea`s internal affairs by mounting an
investigation into a bloody police crackdown.
"The African Union strongly rejects this intervention (by
the UN) which it considers as interference in the internal
affairs of an independent country," the official Jana news
agency quoted a African Union presidency spokesman as
"All intervention by the UN (in Guinea) shall be
considered as a dangerous deviation of the mission of this
international organisation," added the spokesman.
UN envoy Haile Menkerios visited Guinea yesterday, where
he said he received a pledge from military ruler Moussa Dadis
Camara to cooperate with the UN`s probe into the police
Guinea troops entered a football stadium September 28 and
opened fire on unarmed opposition demonstrators angered by
Camara`s purported plans to run in the January presidential
elections. At least 150 people were killed, according to a UN
estimate, while the junta says 56 civilians died.
The African Union has supported mediation efforts by
Burkina Faso`s President Blaise Compaore.
The African Union had also set a weekend deadline for
Camara to issue a written pledge not to stand in the January
election or face sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah