AU mediators in Abidjan for last-ditch talks
Ivory Coast: An African Union representative says an investigation team is meeting Monday with members of incumbent leader Laurent Gbagbo`s government in a last-ditch effort to find a peaceful resolution to the political crisis.
The African Union last week asked the presidents of Chad, Mauritania, South Africa, Tanzania and Burkina Faso to find a peaceful way to install the internationally recognized election winner, Alassane Ouattara, as president. AU representative Ambroise Nyonsaba says the leaders sent a team of 15 experts to Abidjan Sunday.
Nyonsaba said Monday that the team will eventually be followed by the presidents, who will try to organize a face-to-face between Gbagbo and Ouattara, both who claim to be the elected president of Ivory Coast.
The AU mediation team has one month to publish its recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees