Aussie charged in plot to export US military items to Iran
Washington/Melbourne: An Australian man has
been indicted by a US federal grand jury for plotting to
export sensitive materials and American military technology to
Iran, including components with applications in missiles,
drones, torpedoes and helicopters.
David Levick, 50, and his company ICM Components, based
in Thorleigh, Australia, were each charged yesterday with one
count of conspiracy to defraud the United States and to
violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act
(IEEPA) and the Arms Export Control Act; the US Justice
Department said in a statement.
Levick, who is the general manager of ICM Components,
remains at large and is believed to be in Australia, it said.
Levick also was charged with four counts of illegally
exporting goods to an embargoed nation in violation of the
IEEPA, the statement added.
According to the indictment, between March 2007 and March
2009, Levick and ICM solicited purchase orders from a
representative of a trading company in Iran for US-origin
aircraft parts and other goods.
This person in Iran also operated and controlled
companies in Malaysia that acted as intermediaries for the
Iranian trading company, the statement said.
If convicted, Levick faces a potential maximum sentence
of five years in prison for the conspiracy count and 20 years
in prison for each count of violating IEEPA.
Meanwhile, Levick said today he knew nothing about the
indictment or even that he had been investigated by a US grand
"Never heard about it before," he told ABC radio.
Levick said he had bought goods in the US and sent them
to a contact in Iran, but he didn`t realise they were subject
to an embargo.
"Well I didn`t even know there was an embargo against it
because the guy that actually contacted me actually thought I
was in Austria," he was quoted as saying by The Australian.
Levick`s indictment comes amid tense ties between Iran
and the West over Tehran`s nuclear programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal