Australia battles wildfires as threat eases: Officials
Rylstone: Australian firefighters battled to contain scores of blazes in the country`s southeast on Monday as a sharp drop in temperatures eased fears for dozens of threatened homes.
About 600 firefighters backed by water-bombing aircraft were fighting 82 fires around New South Wales state, including a major inferno near the country villages of Rylstone and Kandos.
Temperatures plunged to about 21 degrees Celsius (70 degrees Fahrenheit) from sweltering weekend conditions of 40 degrees Celsius, bringing relief to firefighters and residents who had been urged to flee their homes.
"There are no homes under direct threat today," a Rural Fire Services spokesman said. "Crews are working to backburn containment lines and contain those fires.”
"The cooler weather is obviously a major advantage for us but we`re remaining vigilant."
A bushfire emergency warning, the highest level of alert, was issued in the area about 170 kilometres (105 miles) northwest of Sydney on Sunday as the fire consumed 1,200 hectares (3,000 acres) of bush and broke containment lines.
One cottage and around a dozen cattle were lost and officials also evacuated the hospital at Rylstone, gateway to the World Heritage-listed Wollemi National Park, as a precaution.
Southern Australia has been hit by record heatwaves in recent weeks, prompting the first "catastrophic" fire warnings -- a new category introduced after February`s disastrous Black Saturday wildfires, which left 173 dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday