Australia condemns North Korea`s nuclear test
Melbourne: Australia on Tuesday condemned North Korea`s nuclear test with Prime Minister Julia Gillard stating that the government will work for the strongest possible response to Pyongyang`s continuing defiance of international community`s will.
"Seismic data supports this claim and a third North Korean nuclear test is consistent with North Korea`s dangerous nuclear ambitions.
"The Australian Government condemns in the strongest possible terms nuclear testing by North Korea", Gillard said in a statement.
Nuclear testing by North Korea clearly violates United Nations Security Council Resolutions which demand North Korea not conduct any further nuclear tests, she noted.
North Korea`s development of nuclear weapons and missiles and its proliferation of sensitive technologies threaten international peace and security, she said adding Pyongyang`s actions challenge the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty.
Only last month, in unanimously adopting Resolution 2087, the Security Council expressed its determination to take significant action in the event of a further North Korean nuclear test.
Australia has called for an urgent meeting of the Security Council.
As a Security Council member, Australia will work for the strongest possible response to North Korea`s continuing defiance of the will of international community, the Australian Prime Minister said.
Australia will also be making its deep concerns known to the North Korean Government directly, as well as in international and regional forums, she added.
North Korea`s future security and prosperity can only be secured through constructive relations with its neighbours and the international community.
Australia will continue to work closely with our friends and allies for peace and stability in North Asia, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued