Australia expels 2 Syrian diplomats over massacre
Canberra: Australia expelled two Syrian diplomats on Tuesday in response to last week`s massacre in Syria that left more than 100 people dead, mostly women and children.
Charge d`Affaires Jawdat Ali, the most senior Syrian diplomat in Australia, and another diplomat from the Syrian embassy were ordered to leave the country within 72 hours, Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr told reporters. Carr said he expected other countries to do the same later today.
"This is the most effective way we`ve got of sending a message of revulsion of what has happened in Syria," Carr said.
Friday`s massacre in Houla, a collection of farming villages in Homs province, was one of the deadliest single events in the 15-month-old uprising against Syrian President Bashar Assad`s rule. The United Nations said 49 children and 34 women were among the 108 people killed.
In a statement, Carr called the killings a "hideous and brutal crime" and said Australia would not engage with the Syrian government unless it abides by a UN ceasefire plan.
The UN estimates 9,000 people have been killed since the uprising began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!