Australia expels 2 Syrian diplomats over massacre
Canberra: Australia expelled two Syrian diplomats on Tuesday in response to last week`s massacre in Syria that left more than 100 people dead, mostly women and children.
Charge d`Affaires Jawdat Ali, the most senior Syrian diplomat in Australia, and another diplomat from the Syrian embassy were ordered to leave the country within 72 hours, Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr told reporters. Carr said he expected other countries to do the same later today.
"This is the most effective way we`ve got of sending a message of revulsion of what has happened in Syria," Carr said.
Friday`s massacre in Houla, a collection of farming villages in Homs province, was one of the deadliest single events in the 15-month-old uprising against Syrian President Bashar Assad`s rule. The United Nations said 49 children and 34 women were among the 108 people killed.
In a statement, Carr called the killings a "hideous and brutal crime" and said Australia would not engage with the Syrian government unless it abides by a UN ceasefire plan.
The UN estimates 9,000 people have been killed since the uprising began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack