Australia house fire kills 11, including 8 kids
Brisbane: An overnight house fire in eastern Australia has killed 11 people, including eight children, from two families, officials said on Wednesday.
Three people managed to escape the fire, which broke out in the two-storey home around midnight in Logan City, south of the Queensland state capital of Brisbane, police Superintendent Noel Powers said. The fire began underneath the house, but the cause was not immediately known.
Eight children and teenagers were among the dead, with the youngest victim aged 3, Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said.
"I`ve spoken to one man this morning whose wife and five children are unaccounted for," Bligh said. "I don`t think anyone could imagine the pain that that would involve."
One man who escaped was taken to a hospital for treatment of facial burns, while a second man remained at the scene despite suffering shoulder injuries. A third man did not appear to be injured, Chief Superintendent Stephen Hollands said.
Faiumu Tafeaga said his nephew Misi Matauaina escaped by jumping from a window after his partner woke him up.
Matauaina`s partner and their two children, aged 3 and 6, were unable to get out, Tafeaga said.
"There was no time to go (back) into the house. He got a few burns," Tafeaga said of his nephew.
Elma Hiddleston, who said she was an aunt and cousin of those killed, wept outside the blackened remains of the house.
"I don`t believe it really happened," Hiddleston said. "I watched them grow up. Eleven people — it is just too much for me."
Investigators found several bodies in the wreckage, but none had been removed by Wednesday afternoon.
"While there are a number of bodies in one or two locations, the majority are dispersed throughout the house. That`s what makes it particularly difficult," Powers said. "We`ve got to find our way through the rubble, make sure it`s safe, and then locate the people as well."
Bligh said counsellors were sent to the schools the deceased children attended to help comfort their classmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical