Australia intercepts boat carrying 97 asylum seekers
Melbourne: Australian authorities have intercepted a boat carrying 97 asylum seekers near Christmas Island.
The vessel was initially detected by a Customs and Border Protection surveillance plane and was then intercepted by HMAS Albany, a Navy patrol boat.
Customs, according to media reports, said the people onboard were transferred to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
They also said another boat was found south-west of Darwin yesterday.
There were 78 passengers and two crew on board, and they will also be taken to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!