Australia intercepts boat carrying 97 asylum seekers
Melbourne: Australian authorities have intercepted a boat carrying 97 asylum seekers near Christmas Island.
The vessel was initially detected by a Customs and Border Protection surveillance plane and was then intercepted by HMAS Albany, a Navy patrol boat.
Customs, according to media reports, said the people onboard were transferred to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
They also said another boat was found south-west of Darwin yesterday.
There were 78 passengers and two crew on board, and they will also be taken to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation