Australia intercepts boat carrying 97 asylum seekers
Melbourne: Australian authorities have intercepted a boat carrying 97 asylum seekers near Christmas Island.
The vessel was initially detected by a Customs and Border Protection surveillance plane and was then intercepted by HMAS Albany, a Navy patrol boat.
Customs, according to media reports, said the people onboard were transferred to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
They also said another boat was found south-west of Darwin yesterday.
There were 78 passengers and two crew on board, and they will also be taken to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'