Australia intercepts boat carrying 97 asylum seekers
Melbourne: Australian authorities have intercepted a boat carrying 97 asylum seekers near Christmas Island.
The vessel was initially detected by a Customs and Border Protection surveillance plane and was then intercepted by HMAS Albany, a Navy patrol boat.
Customs, according to media reports, said the people onboard were transferred to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
They also said another boat was found south-west of Darwin yesterday.
There were 78 passengers and two crew on board, and they will also be taken to Christmas Island for health and identity checks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened