Australia makes country`s largest-ever `ice` bust
Sydney: Australian police said on Thursday they had arrested four people and seized 239 kilograms (527 pounds) of methamphetamine, or ice, in the country`s biggest bust of its kind.
The drug would have been worth up to Aus USD 50 million (USD 54 million) on the streets and was seized in a series of raids across Sydney and Perth, in which cash and a loaded semi-automatic pistol were also found.
The previous biggest seizure of methamphetamine was 219 kilograms in Melbourne in 2008.
Of the four arrested, two were Australian and the other two described as Europeans. Three of them were charged with trafficking commercial quantities of controlled drugs and the other with possession.
"This investigation strikes a significant blow to organised criminal groups operating in Australia," said Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Kevin Zuccato.
He added that the sophistication of transnational crime syndicates and the strength of the domestic currency was making Australia an increasingly popular target for drug trafficking operations.
"Organised crime syndicates no doubt look at Australia and see a lucrative drug market and a strong currency compared to the US dollar," said Zuccato.
"But they should also be looking over their shoulders. These total seizures demonstrate improvements in the effectiveness and cohesion of Australian law enforcement to combat organised crime and drug syndicates."
The record haul caps a strong year for Australian police, who have seized more than 1.8 tonnes of drugs since last July.
It includes 692 kilograms of cocaine (an increase of 76 percent on the previous year), 431 kilograms of amphetamine (an increase of 44 percent) and 315 kilograms of heroin (an increase of 128 percent).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores