Australia: Muslim woman jailed for false burqa complaint
Sydney: A burqa-clad Muslim woman was on Friday sentenced to six months jail by an Australian court for falsely accusing a police officer of removing her veil, a media report said.
Carnita Matthews, 46, of Woodbine in Sydney`s south, was found guilty of knowingly making a false complaint relating to the event in June, Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The mother of seven was stopped in June by a police officer for a random breath test.
She later filed a police complaint alleging that the officer had tried to pull off her burqa, which concealed her entire face except for her eyes.
In Campbelltown Local Court, magistrate Robert Rabbidge said the evidence was "overwhelming" that Matthews had submitted a false declaration to police.
"There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that she knew that the complaint she was making was false," he said.
Lawyers for Matthews quickly lodged an appeal to the District Court against the conviction and sentence.
Matthews was released on bail pending the appeal hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II