Australia: Muslim woman jailed for false burqa complaint
Sydney: A burqa-clad Muslim woman was on Friday sentenced to six months jail by an Australian court for falsely accusing a police officer of removing her veil, a media report said.
Carnita Matthews, 46, of Woodbine in Sydney`s south, was found guilty of knowingly making a false complaint relating to the event in June, Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The mother of seven was stopped in June by a police officer for a random breath test.
She later filed a police complaint alleging that the officer had tried to pull off her burqa, which concealed her entire face except for her eyes.
In Campbelltown Local Court, magistrate Robert Rabbidge said the evidence was "overwhelming" that Matthews had submitted a false declaration to police.
"There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that she knew that the complaint she was making was false," he said.
Lawyers for Matthews quickly lodged an appeal to the District Court against the conviction and sentence.
Matthews was released on bail pending the appeal hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption