Australia: Muslim woman jailed for false burqa complaint
Sydney: A burqa-clad Muslim woman was on Friday sentenced to six months jail by an Australian court for falsely accusing a police officer of removing her veil, a media report said.
Carnita Matthews, 46, of Woodbine in Sydney`s south, was found guilty of knowingly making a false complaint relating to the event in June, Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The mother of seven was stopped in June by a police officer for a random breath test.
She later filed a police complaint alleging that the officer had tried to pull off her burqa, which concealed her entire face except for her eyes.
In Campbelltown Local Court, magistrate Robert Rabbidge said the evidence was "overwhelming" that Matthews had submitted a false declaration to police.
"There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that she knew that the complaint she was making was false," he said.
Lawyers for Matthews quickly lodged an appeal to the District Court against the conviction and sentence.
Matthews was released on bail pending the appeal hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers
- Flood situation in Bihar under control: CM Nitish Kumar
- Teenaged Dalit girl gang-raped in UP's Aligarh
- Stem Cell treatment is effective in recovery of spinal injuries