Australia set for longest election campaign in history
Sydney: Labor Party MPs were left ‘gobsmacked’ after Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s announced September 14 as the election date in the country, which triggers the longest election campaign in Australia’s history.
Gillard said setting the date eight months out would allow business and consumers to ‘plan their year’.
According to Herald Sun, opposition Leader Tony Abbott welcomed the announcement and said the election would be about ‘trust’.
But supporters of former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said the announcement could make Gillard vulnerable if support from voters dropped to the level seen during last year, now that there is focus on an election date, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Priyanka, Aziz making tectonic shifts in business: Poorna Jagannathan
- On Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu's feats: Hats off to women for saving our respect in front of whole world, says Pullela Gopichand
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone