Australia set for longest election campaign in history
Sydney: Labor Party MPs were left ‘gobsmacked’ after Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s announced September 14 as the election date in the country, which triggers the longest election campaign in Australia’s history.
Gillard said setting the date eight months out would allow business and consumers to ‘plan their year’.
According to Herald Sun, opposition Leader Tony Abbott welcomed the announcement and said the election would be about ‘trust’.
But supporters of former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said the announcement could make Gillard vulnerable if support from voters dropped to the level seen during last year, now that there is focus on an election date, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are avocados the best first foods for babies?
- `Rebel` Chinese village chief charged over bribes
- Vodafone income dips 3.4% to 1.57 billion pounds in June quarter
- Viral Video: Stranger forcefully kisses girl in public, no one comes to rescue - See reaction
- Gold price climbs by Rs 120 to Rs 30,770 per 10 grams