Australia to free some asylum seekers from centres
Canberra: The Australian government says it will free more than 100 asylum seekers each month from overcrowded detention centres that are being overwhelmed by new boat arrivals.
The release on Friday of the first 27 men from Afghanistan and Sri Lanka to live on temporary visas with family and friends in Australian cities while their refugee claims are assessed has been welcomed by human rights and refugee advocates.
Immigration Minister Chris Bowen said on Friday that his department would choose who would be freed on visas based on how long asylum seekers had been in detention, how well they had behaved and the ability of family and friends to house them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday