Australian charged in attack on Indian restaurateur
Sydney: Police in Australia charged a man Wednesday in connection with a vicious gang attack on the owner of an Indian restaurateur earlier this month.
The 19-year-old man handed himself in to the police in connection with the attack on Himanshu Goyal, 22, while he was closing his restaurant in Bridge Mall at Ballarat in the Australian state of Victoria June 7, according to media reports.
The eight perpetrators, all believed to be in their late teens, punched Goyal in his face leaving him with multiple fractures to his jaw.
The attackers also hurled racial abuses at the victim.
The 19-year-old man has been charged with recklessly causing serious injury, assault and using insulting words in a public place.
He has been released on bail and will appear in Ballarat Magistrates` Court July 29.
Ballarat mayor John Hurt had expressed disgust at the incident and had vowed to hunt down the perpetrators of the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre