Australian charged over rape, murder of two-year-old
Sydney: A man was today charged with the rape and murder of a two-year-old Australian girl, allegedly attacking her over a 20-minute period when her mother was out of the house.
Police say the 23-year-old, reportedly her stepfather, carried out the brutal assault on April 20 at Coffs Harbour, 540 kilometres north of Sydney.
The girl died in hospital the following day and the man was arrested yesterday. He also faces drugs charges.
Detective Inspector Darren Jamieson told ABC radio the girl received "a series of blows to her abdomen, which caused an injury that later led to her death".
"She deteriorated very, very quickly and as a result she died in the early hours of Monday the 21st of April."
He added that he believed the toddler was attacked while her mother was out of home for a short period. The man was due before Coffs Harbour Local Court later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you