Australian charged over rape, murder of two-year-old
Sydney: A man was today charged with the rape and murder of a two-year-old Australian girl, allegedly attacking her over a 20-minute period when her mother was out of the house.
Police say the 23-year-old, reportedly her stepfather, carried out the brutal assault on April 20 at Coffs Harbour, 540 kilometres north of Sydney.
The girl died in hospital the following day and the man was arrested yesterday. He also faces drugs charges.
Detective Inspector Darren Jamieson told ABC radio the girl received "a series of blows to her abdomen, which caused an injury that later led to her death".
"She deteriorated very, very quickly and as a result she died in the early hours of Monday the 21st of April."
He added that he believed the toddler was attacked while her mother was out of home for a short period. The man was due before Coffs Harbour Local Court later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!