Australian charged with attempted murder of Indian
Melbourne: A 21-year-old Australian has been charged with the attempted murder of an Indian-origin man after he allegedly hit the victim thrice while driving a car, dragging him up to 50 metres.
Accused Shannon Marchant was charged over a hit-and-run case at Noble Park here that left 27-year-old Indian Amandeep Singh with serious injuries yesterday, according to Australian media reports.
Police alleged that the accused ran over Singh in a stolen `Holden Commodore` vehicle before fleeing the scene.
After hitting him the first time the car came back and hit him two more times and dragged him up to 50 metres before leaving him for dead.
Marchant has not applied for bail and is facing 13 charges, including those of attempted murder and dangerous driving. He appeared briefly in the Melbourne Magistrates` Court yesterday.
Meanwhile, Singh was admitted to a hospital where he is recovering from his injuries.
Prosecutor Luke Excell told the court that although CCTV footage of the incident was not available, footage of events leading up to the alleged attack could be relied on by prosecutors.
Meanwhile, Marchant`s lawyers said that he needed to be attended by a prison nurse because of "injuries and medication needs".
The court was informed that it was his first time in custody and that the police have CCTV footage of circumstances surrounding the alleged incident but not of the crash itself.
Marchant did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody and will appear again for hearing on August 14.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed