Australian charged with attempted murder of Indian
Melbourne: A 21-year-old Australian has been charged with the attempted murder of an Indian-origin man after he allegedly hit the victim thrice while driving a car, dragging him up to 50 metres.
Accused Shannon Marchant was charged over a hit-and-run case at Noble Park here that left 27-year-old Indian Amandeep Singh with serious injuries yesterday, according to Australian media reports.
Police alleged that the accused ran over Singh in a stolen `Holden Commodore` vehicle before fleeing the scene.
After hitting him the first time the car came back and hit him two more times and dragged him up to 50 metres before leaving him for dead.
Marchant has not applied for bail and is facing 13 charges, including those of attempted murder and dangerous driving. He appeared briefly in the Melbourne Magistrates` Court yesterday.
Meanwhile, Singh was admitted to a hospital where he is recovering from his injuries.
Prosecutor Luke Excell told the court that although CCTV footage of the incident was not available, footage of events leading up to the alleged attack could be relied on by prosecutors.
Meanwhile, Marchant`s lawyers said that he needed to be attended by a prison nurse because of "injuries and medication needs".
The court was informed that it was his first time in custody and that the police have CCTV footage of circumstances surrounding the alleged incident but not of the crash itself.
Marchant did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody and will appear again for hearing on August 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'