Australian leaders welcome Danish royal couple
Canberra: An Australian politician committed an error on Tuesday that visiting Danish Crown Prince Frederik would not allow to stand: He understated the royal`s marathon running prowess.
In a luncheon speech at Australia`s Parliament House, opposition leader Tony Abbott congratulated the heir to the Danish throne on his many achievements including mastery of three foreign languages, service in every arm of the Danish military and running a marathon in only three hours and 22 minutes.
Frederik thanked Abbott for his kind words but lightheartedly pointed out that the senior conservative lawmaker had sold him short.
"My personal record in marathon is three hours and six minutes," Frederik said to the amusement of hundreds of guests. "But it`s not about winning. It`s about succeeding."
Frederik and his Australian-born wife, Crown Princess Mary, arrived in the national capital on Tuesday on a weeklong Australian visit. They held a private meeting with Prime Minister Julia Gillard in her office before they attended the luncheon as the guests of honour.
Mary wore a black-and-white, knee-length floral dress with her hair tied back into a simple but elegant bun.
The couple and their four children landed in Australia on Saturday and spent the next two days in Sydney, where they met in a nightclub during the 2000 Olympics. They will visit Melbourne, rural Victoria state and the Outback mining town of Broken Hill before they are expected to make a private visit to Mary`s home state of Tasmania.
Since their last official visit as guests of the Australian government in 2005, the couple have made private visits to Australia in 2006 and 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you