Australian leaders welcome Danish royal couple
Canberra: An Australian politician committed an error on Tuesday that visiting Danish Crown Prince Frederik would not allow to stand: He understated the royal`s marathon running prowess.
In a luncheon speech at Australia`s Parliament House, opposition leader Tony Abbott congratulated the heir to the Danish throne on his many achievements including mastery of three foreign languages, service in every arm of the Danish military and running a marathon in only three hours and 22 minutes.
Frederik thanked Abbott for his kind words but lightheartedly pointed out that the senior conservative lawmaker had sold him short.
"My personal record in marathon is three hours and six minutes," Frederik said to the amusement of hundreds of guests. "But it`s not about winning. It`s about succeeding."
Frederik and his Australian-born wife, Crown Princess Mary, arrived in the national capital on Tuesday on a weeklong Australian visit. They held a private meeting with Prime Minister Julia Gillard in her office before they attended the luncheon as the guests of honour.
Mary wore a black-and-white, knee-length floral dress with her hair tied back into a simple but elegant bun.
The couple and their four children landed in Australia on Saturday and spent the next two days in Sydney, where they met in a nightclub during the 2000 Olympics. They will visit Melbourne, rural Victoria state and the Outback mining town of Broken Hill before they are expected to make a private visit to Mary`s home state of Tasmania.
Since their last official visit as guests of the Australian government in 2005, the couple have made private visits to Australia in 2006 and 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP