Australian man charged over terror plot

An Australian man was charged on Wednesday in a counter terrorism operation after being found with documents indicating a possible terrorist attack against government targets in Sydney, in the aftermath of a deadly cafe siege in the country's largest city.

Melbourne: An Australian man was charged on Wednesday in a counter terrorism operation after being found with documents indicating a possible terrorist attack against government targets in Sydney, in the aftermath of a deadly cafe siege in the country's largest city.

According to media reports here, police said that 20-year-old Sulayman Khalid was charged after he was allegedly found possessing documents designed to facilitate a terrorist attack against potential government targets in Sydney.

Khalid from Sydney's west, faced Parramatta Local Court after he was charged by counter-terrorism police overnight but was refused the bail.

Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said he was confident police had disrupted planned terrorist activity but would not go into details about the documents seized.

The arrest came hours after Prime Minister Tony Abbott warned of a "heightened level of terrorism chatter" in the aftermath of last week's Sydney cafe siege.

An Iranian gunman with a criminal history held 17 people hostage last week, while unveiling an Islamic flag. He was killed when police stormed the cafe after 16 hours. Two hostages also died in the assault.

According to an ABC report, Australian Federal Police said Joint Counter Terrorism Team and New South Wales police made the arrests as part of 'Operation Appleby', the largest counter-terrorism operation in Australian history.

Media reports said that it was understood that Khalid has denied the notes seized belonged to him.

Phelan said, "But there was enough there that gave concern to us that something was being planned, and that's why a person was charged".

Khalid, a part-time labourer, became infamous after he disrupted a national TV debate when?he was questioned about the cancellation of his Australian passport.

He will remain behind bars for Christmas and will next appear before a court on February 18.

Last week, Police searched his home as part of a series of raids across the city.

Phelan said a total of 11 people had been brought before courts as a result of Operation Appleby.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close