Australian military embroiled in gay-hate claims
Sydney: Australia`s Defence Force came under more fire on Wednesday after claims it failed to discipline dozens of personnel allegedly linked to an online gay-hate campaign.
The Sydney Morning Herald said the military received a complaint eight months ago about a Facebook site created to expose and intimidate homosexuals.
"This page has been created to inform current and past serving members of the ADF who is biting the pillow," the page reportedly said.
"I have had other e-mails from ADF members reporting their suspicions, (but) only confirmed cases of homosexuality will be displayed on this page."
The page, which has since been taken down, allegedly had links to violent and pornographic videos on YouTube, with dozens of ADF members signing on as "friends".
The newspaper said key ADF personnel were aware of the complaint but an investigation was shelved due to inadequate resources and no one had been disciplined.
One of those targeted was Major Paul Morgan, an army psychologist who served in Iraq. He was named on the Facebook page for having made a "filthy lifestyle decision".
Morgan told the newspaper he could not comment due to the ADF`s strict rules on personnel speaking to the media, but said it was hard being gay in the military.
"It is very hard being gay in this organisation," he said.
"I have sacrificed my whole adult life to the Army and the inaction in this case is soul-destroying."
The ADF acknowledged it had received a complaint about the website.
"Defence was made aware of certain `anti-gay` social media activities in August 2010," it said.
"The material which Defence was made aware of does not reflect Defence’s official position, and is not representative of the behaviour and thoughts of the majority of Defence personnel.”
"The attitudes and behaviours described are contrary to everything that the Australian Defence Force stands for and has achieved in welcoming and supporting diversity across the organisation."
The latest claims come after the military announced a series of reviews this week into the treatment of women sparked by a sex scandal involving a young female cadet at an elite military academy.
The woman went to the media, triggering several fresh complaints about sexual misconduct within the military stretching back decades.
The Australian Defence Force has allowed personnel who are gay or lesbian to serve openly since 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm