Australian military faced with another sex scandal
Sydney: The Australian military is facing another sex scandal just weeks after it handed down wide-ranging reviews into defence culture, including sexual abuse and the treatment of women.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, a 23-year-old male soldier has been arrested and charged with raping a 21-year-old female civilian.
He is due to be presented before the ACT Magistrates Court tomorrow.
ACT Police said they arrested the man after responding to a report of a sexual assault at Canberra`s Royal Military College, Duntroon early yesterday.
Police said the 21-year-old alleged victim contacted them at 2 am to report that a man known to her had entered her house and sexually assaulted her before fleeing.
Police later located a man in the grounds of Duntroon with the help of military police and charged him with two counts of sexual intercourse without consent.
A defence spokesman confirmed that a member of the Australian military had been charged with the assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster