Australian military faced with another sex scandal
Sydney: The Australian military is facing another sex scandal just weeks after it handed down wide-ranging reviews into defence culture, including sexual abuse and the treatment of women.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, a 23-year-old male soldier has been arrested and charged with raping a 21-year-old female civilian.
He is due to be presented before the ACT Magistrates Court tomorrow.
ACT Police said they arrested the man after responding to a report of a sexual assault at Canberra`s Royal Military College, Duntroon early yesterday.
Police said the 21-year-old alleged victim contacted them at 2 am to report that a man known to her had entered her house and sexually assaulted her before fleeing.
Police later located a man in the grounds of Duntroon with the help of military police and charged him with two counts of sexual intercourse without consent.
A defence spokesman confirmed that a member of the Australian military had been charged with the assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?