Australian military hit by sex scandal
Melbourne: The Australian military has been
rocked by a sex scandal after a 23-year-old soldier was
arrested over the alleged rape of a civilian woman at a
The soldier has been arrested and charged with raping a
21-year-old woman at Canberra`s Royal Military College,
The incident comes just weeks after the military handed
down wide-ranging reviews of Defence culture, including how to
handle sexual abuse and the treatment of women.
Police said the alleged victim contacted them to report
that a man known to her had sexually assaulted her before
fleeing, the Herald Sun reported.
Police later located a man in the grounds of Duntroon and
charged him with two counts of sexual intercourse without
A Defence spokesman confirmed that a member of the
Australian military had been charged with alleged sexual
"The Australian Defence Force Investigative Service is
assisting the Australian Federal Police in their
investigation," he said.
The charges come in the wake of the Australian Defence
Force Academy so-called `skype scandal` last year, in which an
18-year-old cadet alleged she had been filmed and broadcast
without her knowledge during a consensual sexual encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion