Australian military hit by sex scandal
Melbourne: The Australian military has been
rocked by a sex scandal after a 23-year-old soldier was
arrested over the alleged rape of a civilian woman at a
The soldier has been arrested and charged with raping a
21-year-old woman at Canberra`s Royal Military College,
The incident comes just weeks after the military handed
down wide-ranging reviews of Defence culture, including how to
handle sexual abuse and the treatment of women.
Police said the alleged victim contacted them to report
that a man known to her had sexually assaulted her before
fleeing, the Herald Sun reported.
Police later located a man in the grounds of Duntroon and
charged him with two counts of sexual intercourse without
A Defence spokesman confirmed that a member of the
Australian military had been charged with alleged sexual
"The Australian Defence Force Investigative Service is
assisting the Australian Federal Police in their
investigation," he said.
The charges come in the wake of the Australian Defence
Force Academy so-called `skype scandal` last year, in which an
18-year-old cadet alleged she had been filmed and broadcast
without her knowledge during a consensual sexual encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'