Australian mining execs on plane missing in Africa
Sydney: Fears grew for the safety of a group of Australian mining executives on Sunday after their plane disappeared en route from Cameroon to Congo-Brazzaville, the Australian government and the firm said.
Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said 10 people were on board the chartered flight, including six Australians, which was due to travel on a flight path over dense jungle.
"We are seriously concerned about their safety and well-being," Smith said.
Iron ore miner Sundance Resources said the flight from Yaoundé in Cameroon to Yangadou in Congo-Brazzaville failed to arrive on Saturday and had been reported missing.
"The flight was carrying nine passengers, predominately from Sundance Resources, who were visiting the company`s iron ore project in Cameroon and Congo," Sundance said in a statement.
"A comprehensive air and ground search coordinated by the Cameroon military will commence at first daylight local time on Sunday. A Congolese aircraft will also be involved in the search for the missing aircraft," it added.
The group was understood to be in Africa to speak to officials in Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Congo-Brazzaville about the Mbalam iron ore project.
Media reports said Queensland mining magnate Ken Talbot, who founded Macarthur Coal before stepping aside after being accused of making corrupt payments to a then state minister, was onboard.
Sundance chairman Geoff Wedlock was also on the plane, news agency AAP said.
"The families of the missing have been notified and are being supported during this deeply distressing time," the company said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi