Australian minister apologises over Nelson Mandela gaffe
Zee Media Bureau
Sydney: An Australian minister apologised on Thursday for erroneously announcing that South African icon Nelson Mandela was dead.
Apologising to South Africa’s High Commissioner, Australian Resource Minister Gary Gray issued a statement expressing deep regret over his mistake of telling his dinner guests that Mandela was no more.
"I apologize unreservedly and am deeply sorry to have relayed what I thought was reliable advice," Gray said in a statement.
Resources Minister Gary Gray acknowledged he wrongly told guests attending a Mineral Council of Australia dinner at Parliament House on Wednesday that the anti-apartheid leader was dead.
Mr Gray`s gaffe over Mandela seemed to be influenced by rumours circulated on Twitter that Mr Mandela, who is critically ill and on a life support in a Pretoria hospital, had passed away overnight.
The Resources Minister, one of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd`s severest critics, has this morning agreed to stay on cabinet.
Mandela is in critical condition at a hospital. The 94-year-old former president was admitted to the Pretoria hospital on June 8 to be treated for what the government said was a recurring lung infection.
Mandela was jailed for 27 years under white racist rule. He was freed in 1990 and became South Africa`s first black president in 1994.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- ACB questions former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit in water tanker scam
- CAB planning Jagmohan Dalmiya Memorial Lecture during home season
- Dhyan Chand should have got Bharat Ratna ahead of Sachin Tendulkar, says former greats
- Kevin Magnussen taken to hospital for checks after crash at Belgian Grand Prix
- Study Constitution well, understand democratic process: President to law students