Australian Navy hit by fresh sex claims
Sydney: Australia`s military was hit by a
fresh sex scandal on Sunday, with a female sailor claiming she was
sexually assaulted by a crewmate on board a mine-hunting ship.
The 21-year-old Able Seaman alleged that a fellow sailor,
24, had confronted and then sexually assaulted her aboard HMAS
Diamantina while it was docked in Sydney last month, defence
"Military authorities were made aware of the complaint on
Friday 9 September 2011, when the complainant reported the
alleged incident to HMAS Diamantina`s Naval Police Coxswain,
who immediately informed his chain of command," a spokeswoman
The matter was referred immediately "and with
sensitivity" to Sydney police, and both sailors were given
medical, legal and professional support, she added.
The female sailor was still at work and the male was also
on duty, though he had been moved to a different location
"pending the outcome of ongoing investigations."
"Defence is awaiting the outcome of the NSW Police
investigation and will undertake the appropriate action upon
completion of the investigation," the spokeswoman said.
It renewed debate about the treatment of women in
Australia`s military, currently being examined by an
independent inquiry set up after a sex scandal at the nation`s
elite defence academy earlier this year.
The case, in which a female cadet was unwittingly filmed
and broadcast via the Internet without her consent having sex
with a male classmate, also sparked a review of sex and other
abuse in the military.
More than 1,000 claims have so far been made involving
sexual abuse, beatings and other misconduct within the armed
forces stretching back decades.
Australia`s military has gained an unwanted reputation
for drinking and sexist attitudes, with a report into
incidents on board the supply ship HMAS Success this year
finding a sexually predatory and boozy culture, concealed
through silence and fear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?