Australian octopus predicts Julia Gillard`s poll victory
Melbourne: So what if Octopus Paul has retired after the FIFA World Cup -- Australia`s own psychic devilfish has staked claim to being its successor predicting the victory of Prime Minister Julia Gillard in the country`s general elections next month.
According to Cassandra, the very own octopus of Australian daily The Sydney Morning Herald, the prime minister`s rival candidate Tony Abbott will be inked out in the poll to be held August 21.
When Cassandra was consulted at the Sydney Institute of Marine Science, she wrapped her long arms around Gillard`s picture. Her reaction to the opposition leader`s image was less enthusiastic -- she turned a defensive black colour, the daily said.
Paul, the German oracle octopus, became popular after correctly predicting the results of all six of Germany`s matches in the FIFA WOrld Cup in South Africa May-June. It ended the tournament with a remarkable eight-on-eight record.
According to Greek legend, Cassandra was given the gift of prophecy by the god Apollo. However, when Cassandra did not return Apollo`s love, he placed a curse on her so that no one would believe her predictions, such as the fall of Troy.
Apart from her dabble in divination, Cassandra will be used as part of a research project involving the Marine Science Institute, Macquarie University and Harvard University to investigate whether octopuses can learn by observation.
Rob Harcourt, director of marine science at Macquarie University, however, said as octopus had "episodic personalities", the prime minister should be aware Cassandra could choose Abbott tomorrow.
"On any given day, an octopus may be bold in all situations and then shy and timid the next day," Harcourt said.
Despite their temperamental personalities, he said, octopuses had excellent learning capabilities and memories. "They can take a prawn out of a Vegemite jar."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India