Australian PM Kevin Rudd unveils new Cabinet
Canberra: Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd unveiled his new cabinet Monday, filling out key positions left by resigned Julia Gillard supporters.
Chris Bowen, already been sworn in as Treasurer, will take the portfolio of financial services and superannuation from Bill Shorten, who has a new portfolio of education in addition to his old portfolio of workplace relations, reported Xinhua.
Deputy Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who is also minister for infrastructure and transport, will take on the broadband, communications and the digital economy portfolio vacated by key Gillard supporter, Stephen Conroy.
Jacinta Collins, deputy leader of the government in the Senate, joins the cabinet as minister for mental health and aging. Mark Butler, minister for mental health and aging in the Gillard cabinet, will take on the portfolios of climate change, environment, heritage and water.
Tony Burke will be the new minister for immigration, multicultural affairs and citizenship, as well as retaining the arts portfolio. Brendan O`Connor will serve as the minister for employment, and for skills and training.
Kim Carr will join the cabinet as the minister for innovation, industry, science and research and minister for higher education. Julie Collins will also join the cabinet as the minister responsible for housing and homelessness, community services, status of women and indigenous employment and economic development.
Catherine King will now serve in cabinet as the minister for regional Australia, local government and territories.
Joel Fitzgibbon, used to be chief party whip before the aborted Rudd challenge of party leadership in March, joins the cabinet as minister for agriculture, fisheries and forestry.
As does Richard Marles as the minister for trade.
Tanya Plibersek will add medical research to her responsibilities as minister for health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof