Australian PM’s popularity at record low
Canberra: Prime Minister Julia Gillard has sunk below opposition leader Tony Abbott as Australia`s preferred leader for the first time, a new poll showed on Tuesday.
When the Newspoll for The Australian newspaper, conducted last weekend, asked who would make the better prime minister, 41 percent said Abbott, with only 39 percent opting for Gillard.
The telephone poll of 1,158 voters showed just 28 percent were satisfied with the Welsh-born Gillard`s performance, her lowest since ousting Kevin Rudd to become leader a year ago in a party room coup.
Dissatisfaction with the country`s first female prime minister leapt to 62 percent, making Gillard the most unpopular modern leader since Paul Keating at his worst in the mid 1990s.
According to the poll, her government was faring no better with Labor`s share of first preference votes crashing to a record low of 30 percent.
The conservative opposition`s support was steady at 46 percent, with the Greens at 11 percent.
Gillard`s popularity has steadily waned in recent months as she attempts to sell a tax on carbon pollution and controversial plans to swap 800 boatpeople for 4,000 processed refugees living in Malaysia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested