Australian PM’s popularity at record low
Canberra: Prime Minister Julia Gillard has sunk below opposition leader Tony Abbott as Australia`s preferred leader for the first time, a new poll showed on Tuesday.
When the Newspoll for The Australian newspaper, conducted last weekend, asked who would make the better prime minister, 41 percent said Abbott, with only 39 percent opting for Gillard.
The telephone poll of 1,158 voters showed just 28 percent were satisfied with the Welsh-born Gillard`s performance, her lowest since ousting Kevin Rudd to become leader a year ago in a party room coup.
Dissatisfaction with the country`s first female prime minister leapt to 62 percent, making Gillard the most unpopular modern leader since Paul Keating at his worst in the mid 1990s.
According to the poll, her government was faring no better with Labor`s share of first preference votes crashing to a record low of 30 percent.
The conservative opposition`s support was steady at 46 percent, with the Greens at 11 percent.
Gillard`s popularity has steadily waned in recent months as she attempts to sell a tax on carbon pollution and controversial plans to swap 800 boatpeople for 4,000 processed refugees living in Malaysia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves