Australian shot ex-lover after aliens told him to
Sydney: An Australian man shot at his former girlfriend inside a Sydney casino after aliens told him to, a court was told.
Todd William Devaney pleaded guilty to shooting fitness instructor Holly Graham while she taught yoga at Star City casino`s gym in May 2008.
Graham suffered serious wounds but survived, AAP news agency reported.
Devaney`s psychiatrist Rosalie Wilcox told the court her patient was suffering from untreated paranoid schizophrenia at the time of the incident.
Devaney had heard voices and taps on the casino wall that he interpreted as coming from aliens, Wilcox told the Downing Centre court.
"He`s talked about that before... he`s talked about aliens. It`s certainly something he talks about when he`s unwell," she said.
Wilcox said Devaney interpreted the messages as coming from aliens and decided to shoot the woman.
She said Devaney`s illness was being treated and his prospects of rehabilitation had improved.
In a victim impact statement read to the court by her father, Graham said she still lived in fear of Devaney.
Devaney had pleaded guilty in July 2010 to intending to murder the fitness instructor. He had shot Graham twice below the hip and ribs.
He fled the scene but was arrested later wearing a fake moustache and beard, a latex mask, carrying three pistols, a folding knife and two apples.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India