Australian soldier held for threatening civilians
Sydney: A 28-year-old soldier has arrested in Australia for terrorising residents and motorists on a street with a replica rifle, an official said Sunday.
Police said they were called to the Townsville suburb of Bohle Plains in Queensland Saturday night after receiving reports of an armed man threatening residents and motorists, the Daily Telegraph reported Sunday.
The man, a serving soldier, is yet to be charged, a military spokesperson said.
Police said the weapon "appeared to be a rifle", but when the man was arrested it was found to be a "training tube" for Australia`s defence forces.
The tube resembles a weapon but is incapable of actually firing.
The man was "roaming the streets pointing it at people", police told AAP. "So it doesn`t appear that he was targeting anyone in particular."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark