Australian spy base guiding US drone strikes on Taliban
Sydney: Central Australia`s Pine Gap spy base played an important role an important role in the United States` controversial drone strikes, which involved the `targeted killing` of al-Qaeda and Taliban chiefs.
A former official at the Australian-American base have described the facility`s success in locating and tracking al Qaeda and Taliban leaders.
He added that the facility`s success was outstanding in even locating other insurgent activity in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
According to smh.com.au, a primary function of the top-secret signals intelligence base near Alice Springs is to track the precise geolocation of radio signals.
These include hand-held radios and mobile phones, in the eastern hemisphere, from the Middle East across Asia to China, North Korea and the Russian far east.
This information has been used to identify the location of terrorist suspects, which is then fed into the United States drone strike programme and other military operations, the report said.
A former Pine Gap operator said that the Taliban know that they are been tracked, but they still have to use radios and phones to conduct their operations; they can`t avoid that.
According to the report, Pine Gap`s operations often involve sifting through vast quantities of `noise` to find elusive and infrequent signals, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside