`Australia`s history lessons lack Asia focus`
Melbourne: An education expert in Australia has criticised the new national history curriculum that lacks content on Asia, saying the region holds the key to the country`s future.
Tony Milner, Basham professor of Asian history at the Australian National University, said the skills Australians would require to assess and handle the Asian century "cannot merely be the capacity to examine flows of power, or economic issues”.
"We must get the curriculum right," he told the NSW History Teachers Association Conference.
The new history curriculum, from the foundation year to year 10, has been finalised by the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority and it contains three cross-curricular priorities --- Indigenous Australia, "examining historical perspectives from an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewpoint"; Sustainability, "the ongoing capacity of Earth to maintain all life"; and Asia.
Milner said an introduction, in year 7, to ancient China and India, and part of a Year 10 component, were the only aspects of Asian history required to be taught.
Students can undertake the new national history curriculum without seriously studying the Asian region that holds the key to Australia`s future, he said.
But, eminent historian Stuart Macintyre, who led the drafting of the curriculum, said yesterday "It has always been a problem that teachers feel less confident about teaching on Asia, but we have gone further towards installing it in the curriculum than previously."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read