Australia`s parliamentary speaker steps down
Canberra: Australia`s parliamentary speaker has temporarily stepped down amid allegations of sexual harassment and fraud. The move touches off a political crisis that threatens Prime Minister Julia Gillard`s tenuous grip on power.
House of Representatives Speaker Peter Slipper announced on Sunday he will be temporarily replaced by his deputy Anna Burke, a Labor Party government lawmaker, while police investigate allegations he misused taxi payment vouchers.
A male staff member who made the fraud allegations is also suing Slipper claiming sexual harassment. Slipper denies all the allegations.
It is not immediately clear whether the move will cost Gillard her razor-thin majority vote. That would leave her minority government vulnerable to a vote of no confidence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India