Australia`s parliamentary speaker steps down
Canberra: Australia`s parliamentary speaker has temporarily stepped down amid allegations of sexual harassment and fraud. The move touches off a political crisis that threatens Prime Minister Julia Gillard`s tenuous grip on power.
House of Representatives Speaker Peter Slipper announced on Sunday he will be temporarily replaced by his deputy Anna Burke, a Labor Party government lawmaker, while police investigate allegations he misused taxi payment vouchers.
A male staff member who made the fraud allegations is also suing Slipper claiming sexual harassment. Slipper denies all the allegations.
It is not immediately clear whether the move will cost Gillard her razor-thin majority vote. That would leave her minority government vulnerable to a vote of no confidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details