Austrian UN troops begin pullout from Golan Heights
Quneitra Crossing (Golan Heights): Austrian troops in the UN monitoring force on the Golan Heights began withdrawing on Wednesday, days after Vienna decided to quit the mission over security concerns.
A group of 20 soldiers entered the Israeli side of the strategic plateau through the Quneitra Crossing, the only direct passage between Israel and Syria, an AFP photographer said.
About 50 other soldiers of the 378-strong Austrian contingent were to be withdrawn during the day, sources on the ground said.
Austria, which has been a cornerstone of the UN force monitoring a ceasefire between Syria and Israel since 1974, announced on Thursday that it would withdraw its peacekeepers because of deteriorating security on the Golan Heights.
Defence Minister Gerald Klug said the pullout of Austria`s soldiers on the Golan would take between two and four weeks.
A top Israeli government official told AFP on Tuesday that several dozen Austrian troops had already left the mission`s headquarters. Israeli public radio said they were administrative staff.
"But the majority of soldiers will remain in place until the UN has found a country that can send troops to replace the Austrian ones," said the Israeli official, who asked not to be named.
The UN is trying to persuade Austria to slow down its withdrawal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic