Avoid actions that raise tensions in the region: US to China
Washington: Expressing concern over the flight of a Chinese government airplane near the Senkaku Island, the United States has asked China to avoid taking actions that raises tensions in the region.
"We are concerned by the flight of a Chinese government airplane near the Senkakus. It`s important to avoid actions that raise tensions and to prevent miscalculations that could undermine peace, security and economic growth in the region," the State Department spokesperson Patrick Ventrell told reporters at a news conference yesterday.
"We`ve raised our concerns with the Chinese government directly and made clear that US policy and commitments regarding the Senkaku Islands are long-standing and have not changed," he said in response to a question.
The United States, Ventrell said, is also in talks with Japan in this regard. "We think it`s important to avoid any actions that raise tensions," he said.
Responding to a question, Ventrell said the Asia Pacific region is big enough to accommodate all the rising countries including China.
"I wouldn`t speculate on Chinese actions, but clearly, we`ve been clear about why we`re pivoting toward Asia and the actions that were taken and the important alliances we have there and the important work that we do with our partners across the region," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Earthquake hits Haryana's Mahendragarh; tremors felt in Delhi, NCR
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Olympics 2016: Goodbye Rio, over to Tokyo now for 2020 Games
- Maharashtra to call special assembly session on Aug 29 to ratify GST Bill
- PATHETIC! No water, missing Indian officials reason behind OP Jaisha's collapse in Rio