Azerbaijan detains 50 opposition protesters
Baku: Police in ex-Soviet Azerbaijan
today detained 50 opposition activists who tried for a second
day to stage an anti-government protest inspired by the
uprisings in the Arab world.
Some 200 members of the opposition Musavat party
gathered at Fountain Square in central Baku for the protest
but were quickly dispersed by police, an AFP reporter at the
Protesters, Musavat leaders Arif Hajili and Tofik
Yakublu, chanted "Liberty! Resignation!" as uniformed and
plain-clothes police led them away into police buses. Some of
them were released soon afterwards.
"Police detained 50 citizens on March 12," the
interior ministry said in a statement. It said 30 were
released, but another 20 were still being held and would later
appear in court.
Isa Gambar, the head of Musavat, said to a news agency that a
revolution in Azerbaijan was imminent if the authorities
failed to initiate democratic reforms.
"Our message to the authorities is: `Carry out
fundamental reforms, if you do not want a revolution`," Gambar
"Today`s demonstration is historic, it marks the start
of a democratic movement in Azerbaijan."
On Friday police arrested over 40 young activists
trying to organise nationwide protests against the regime led
by President Ilham Aliyev, who succeeded his father Heydar in
2003, through social networking site Facebook.
The authorities arrested at least five activists last
week ahead of the protests in a bid to stifle opposition in
the secular Muslim majority state.
Amnesty International has urged Azerbaijan to "stop
this crackdown immediately and allow activists to organise
The European Union delegation and the United States
ambassador to Azerbaijan have also voiced their concern over
Energy-rich Azerbaijan has been courted by foreign
governments for its oil and gas supplies, but critics have
accused the West of tempering criticism of rights abuses there
to safeguard their economic interests.
Masters of vast Caspian oil wealth, the Aliyev family
has ruled Azerbaijan since 1993 when Ilham Aliyev`s father
Heydar became president. Heydar Aliyev was succeeded by his
son when he died in 2003.
Opposition critics accuse the Aliyev dynasty of
rigging elections, crushing dissent, jailing opponents and
stifling the media in this country of eight million
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’