Azerbaijan warns pro-hijab `extremists`
Baku: The interior minister of Azerbaijan
warned on Friday that attempts to stir up discontent about a law
preventing girls from wearing the Muslim hijab in schools
would not be tolerated.
"In the struggle with extremely dangerous and harmful
religious extremism and radicalism, all our officers are
watchful and vigilant," Interior Minister Ramil Usubov told
Azerbaijan`s official government newspaper.
"The relevant authorities will prevent attempts to
spread such ideas and violations of stability," he said.
His comments came after several demonstrations against
legislation regulating school uniforms which effectively
prohibits the wearing of the Islamic headscarf in schools in
the mainly Muslim but officially secular republic.
The leader of the Islamic Party of Azerbaijan was also
detained on terrorism charges this month after calling for the
overthrow of the government, accusing it of violating
religious rights by prohibiting the hijab in schools.
Usubov said that Azerbaijan was "one of the best
examples of religious tolerance in the world" as well as a
country where women`s rights are guaranteed.
"Those who want their daughters to cover their heads
can do so away from school, at home," he said.
Energy-rich Azerbaijan is a mainly Shiite Muslim
country, but after decades of Soviet rule it emerged as one of
the most secular states in the Islamic world.
The authorities have imposed restrictions on religious
worship and arrested radicals in attempts to prevent the
spread of extremism, although critics have accused them of
persecuting devout Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India