Azerbaijanis injured in fight at French Parliament
Paris: French officials on Thursday condemned Armenian and Azerbaijani activists for clashing with one another in France`s Parliament.
Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict since 1988, over the disputed Caucasus Mountains territory of Nagorno-Karabakh.
The violent outburst occurred on Tuesday in the National Assembly in Paris, during a conference commemorating the anniversary of violence against Armenians in 1988.
Two Azerbaijanis, a man and a woman, tried to interrupt the conference, saying they wanted to commemorate the anniversary of a 1992 massacre of Azerbaijanis.
The Azerbaijani embassy in Paris says the two were attacked and beaten by some of the pro-Armenia participants.
France`s Foreign Ministry said on Thursday it "regrets and condemns" the acts of violence committed inside the National Assembly.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry issued a statement criticising French lawmakers for failing to stop the "brutal beating" of Azerbaijani activists.
It blamed "the Armenian lobby and its sponsors" for the violence and voiced hope that French authorities will punish those responsible for the beating the woman, a French citizen of Azerbaijani origin, and an Azerbaijani student.
In Azerbaijan`s capital, Baku, about 100 student activists protested near the French embassy, holding placards with slogans such as "Shame on France!" and "For Justice!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling