Azerbaijanis injured in fight at French Parliament
Paris: French officials on Thursday condemned Armenian and Azerbaijani activists for clashing with one another in France`s Parliament.
Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict since 1988, over the disputed Caucasus Mountains territory of Nagorno-Karabakh.
The violent outburst occurred on Tuesday in the National Assembly in Paris, during a conference commemorating the anniversary of violence against Armenians in 1988.
Two Azerbaijanis, a man and a woman, tried to interrupt the conference, saying they wanted to commemorate the anniversary of a 1992 massacre of Azerbaijanis.
The Azerbaijani embassy in Paris says the two were attacked and beaten by some of the pro-Armenia participants.
France`s Foreign Ministry said on Thursday it "regrets and condemns" the acts of violence committed inside the National Assembly.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry issued a statement criticising French lawmakers for failing to stop the "brutal beating" of Azerbaijani activists.
It blamed "the Armenian lobby and its sponsors" for the violence and voiced hope that French authorities will punish those responsible for the beating the woman, a French citizen of Azerbaijani origin, and an Azerbaijani student.
In Azerbaijan`s capital, Baku, about 100 student activists protested near the French embassy, holding placards with slogans such as "Shame on France!" and "For Justice!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic