BA crew under fire for hosting ‘topless’ parties
London: British Airways bosses may have to scrap lucrative flights amid growing complaints about cabin crew holding raucous parties at luxury hotels.
Topless air hostesses and champagne-fuelled pool parties have prompted a flood of protests about wild behaviour.
Now BA has warned its captains to control their crews during overnight stops – or the airline may be forced to abandon at least one route.
The problem is particularly acute on routes crewed by young recruits – so-called ‘mixed fleet’ which was at the heart of the recent BA industrial dispute.
“Mixed fleet crews are basically kids of 18 and 20 years old, in their first jobs on pretty low pay, who think it’s a wonderful life staying in posh hotels,” a newspaper quoted a BA source as saying.
“They pilfer champagne from the aircraft to drink in the crew hotels because buying their own drinks in a five-star hotel is too expensive.
“Then they run amok, holding wild room parties and going topless in the pool,” the source added.
Crews on long-haul flights to the Kenyan capital Nairobi have been told the route could become ‘financially unviable’ unless they rein in their behaviour.
BA flies thousands of passengers a month to Nairobi, and the route is worth millions of pounds.
But in an internal memo sent to BA captains recently, a manager warns: “We continue to receive complaints from our management team at our crew hotel in NBO [Nairobi] regarding the behaviour of some of our crews.
“In the current security environment, the current hotel is the only approved hotel available to us.
“Should they choose to terminate our contract, or elect not to renew it later this year, the route will become financially unviable.”
The note asks captains and senior flight attendants to ‘sensitively manage pool/room parties and any raucous crew behaviour’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city