BA pilot`s mistake triggers mid-air scare
London: A British Airways (BA) pilot caused a mid-air scare when he pressed a wrong button, triggering an announcement that the aircraft was about to make an emergency landing on water.
The mistake activated an automated female voice that said: "This is an emergency announcement. We may shortly need to make an emergency landing on water."
The Sun on Friday said that there were 275 passengers flying from Heathrow to Hong Kong and they prepared for the worst over the North Sea.
Then cabin crew ran down the aisles and said that it was a mistake.
BA said sorry for the "undue distress".
"People were terrified, we all thought we were going to die. They said the pilot hit the wrong button because they were so close together," Michelle Lord, 32, of Lancs, was quoted as saying.
Another traveller said: "I can`t think of anything worse than being told your plane`s about to crash."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended