Baby dies in Spain on airport luggage belt
Madrid: A five-month-old baby died in a Spanish airport on Thursday after being placed on a luggage belt that then started moving without its parents noticing, officials said.
The baby was at the baggage claim with its mother, a US national, and its Canadian father after a flight from London early Thursday morning in the eastern seaside city of Alicante, an airport spokeswoman said.
"The five-month old baby was on the belt. I don`t know if it was placed on it directly, or in a cradle," she said.
"It was about two o`clock in the morning, on the belt for retrieving special baggage, where children`s push chairs and large items come out," which was activated when the parents were not looking, the spokeswoman added.
"The airport medical service tried to resuscitate the baby but they could not do anything."
Police were "investigating the exact circumstances", a Civil Guard spokesman said. "It all appears to have been an accident, a case of carelessness."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble