Baby dies in Spain on airport luggage belt
Madrid: A five-month-old baby died in a Spanish airport on Thursday after being placed on a luggage belt that then started moving without its parents noticing, officials said.
The baby was at the baggage claim with its mother, a US national, and its Canadian father after a flight from London early Thursday morning in the eastern seaside city of Alicante, an airport spokeswoman said.
"The five-month old baby was on the belt. I don`t know if it was placed on it directly, or in a cradle," she said.
"It was about two o`clock in the morning, on the belt for retrieving special baggage, where children`s push chairs and large items come out," which was activated when the parents were not looking, the spokeswoman added.
"The airport medical service tried to resuscitate the baby but they could not do anything."
Police were "investigating the exact circumstances", a Civil Guard spokesman said. "It all appears to have been an accident, a case of carelessness."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured