Baby killed in Army shootout in northeast Nigeria
Maiduguri (Nigeria): A witness says stray bullets from an Army shootout wounded a woman and killed a baby strapped to her back in Nigeria`s northeast.
The witness, who spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear for his safety, said he saw soldiers shooting after an explosion hit Maiduguri city Tuesday.
It remains unclear if others were shooting back.
Army spokesman Lt Col Sagir Musa said he was unaware of the shootings of the woman and child.
He said soldiers shot dead a man who was pushing a wheelbarrow that contained explosives. He added that nobody died in the blast.
Musa blamed the attack on a radical Islamist sect known as Boko Haram, which is held responsible for more than 660 deaths this year, according to an Associated Press count.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened