Baby killed in Army shootout in northeast Nigeria
Maiduguri (Nigeria): A witness says stray bullets from an Army shootout wounded a woman and killed a baby strapped to her back in Nigeria`s northeast.
The witness, who spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear for his safety, said he saw soldiers shooting after an explosion hit Maiduguri city Tuesday.
It remains unclear if others were shooting back.
Army spokesman Lt Col Sagir Musa said he was unaware of the shootings of the woman and child.
He said soldiers shot dead a man who was pushing a wheelbarrow that contained explosives. He added that nobody died in the blast.
Musa blamed the attack on a radical Islamist sect known as Boko Haram, which is held responsible for more than 660 deaths this year, according to an Associated Press count.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Not just cash transactions, IT officials also tracking Facebook posts for foreign tour photos!
- Denmark bags Europe's maiden Thomas Cup title
- Understanding Olympics qualification: How MC Mary Kom can still go to Rio 2016, with some luck
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 22 runs, march into playoffs
- Three men held for attacking BJP MP Tarun Vijay