Baby killer Chinese man sentenced to death
Beijing: A 48-year-old Chinese man has been sentenced to death for strangling a two-month-old baby after stealing a SUV with the infant inside.
Zhou Xijun was sentenced to death by the Changchun Intermediate People`s Court which also deprived him of his political rights for life.
Zhou was also sentenced to five years in jail and fined 50,000 yuan (USD 8,065) for stealing, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
He was ordered to pay the family of the baby 17,098.50 yuan to compensate for economic losses.
On March 4, Zhou stole an SUV parked by the side of a road in Changchun, capital of Jilin Province, and drove it onto a highway.
After finding the baby in the back seat of the vehicle, Zhou strangled the infant and buried him in the snow.
He turned himself in a day after massive searches for the baby and the thief were launched by police and the public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Senegal says ex-president Wade`s son freed after graft pardon
- OUCET 2016 Results declared; download Osmania University Common Entrance Tests 2016 Rank Card here
- Will have to see how implementation rolls out: Verma on Brexit
- Danish government-allied populists call for EU vote, PM rejects
- Three killed in shooting at Ankara hospital: reports