Baby killer`s death sentence confirmed in Beijing
Beijing: A court in Beijing on Friday upheld a man`s death sentence who in July this year killed a two-year-old child after he snatched her from a pram and threw her to the ground.
The Beijing Higher People`s Court Friday morning rejected the killer`s appeal and pronounced the final judgment on the crime as intentional homicide, reported Xinhua.
Han Lei, 39, who claimed to be drunk at the time, grabbed the infant girl as he argued with her mother over a parking space and dashed her on the ground in the Daxing District of Beijing July 23. He fled the scene but was arrested the next day.
The child was severely injured and died days later in hospital.
Han was sentenced to death by the Beijing No 1 Intermediate People`s Court Sep 25 on charges of intentional homicide, but appealed to have his crime reduced to involuntary homicide on the grounds that he didn`t know it was a baby carriage nor that he was hurling a baby.
According to China`s law, involuntary homicide receives a sentence of three to seven years imprisonment, but intentional homicide carries a mandatory death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends