Baby killer`s death sentence confirmed in Beijing
Beijing: A court in Beijing on Friday upheld a man`s death sentence who in July this year killed a two-year-old child after he snatched her from a pram and threw her to the ground.
The Beijing Higher People`s Court Friday morning rejected the killer`s appeal and pronounced the final judgment on the crime as intentional homicide, reported Xinhua.
Han Lei, 39, who claimed to be drunk at the time, grabbed the infant girl as he argued with her mother over a parking space and dashed her on the ground in the Daxing District of Beijing July 23. He fled the scene but was arrested the next day.
The child was severely injured and died days later in hospital.
Han was sentenced to death by the Beijing No 1 Intermediate People`s Court Sep 25 on charges of intentional homicide, but appealed to have his crime reduced to involuntary homicide on the grounds that he didn`t know it was a baby carriage nor that he was hurling a baby.
According to China`s law, involuntary homicide receives a sentence of three to seven years imprisonment, but intentional homicide carries a mandatory death sentence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!