Baby Messiah gets to keep his name: US judge
Chicago: A Tennessee judge who changed a baby`s name because she believes "Messiah" should be reserved for Jesus Christ was overruled today, local media reported.
The eight-month-old boy`s parents had sought help from a judge last month in a dispute over whether their child should have his mother or father`s last name.
Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew chastised the couple for choosing a name which "could put him at odds with a lot of people," WBIR news reported.
"The word Messiah is a title and it`s a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," Judge Ballew said.
She ordered the baby`s name to be "Martin DeShawn McCullough" -- giving the boy his father`s family name and using his mother`s family name for his given name.
The parents were shocked -- they had both agreed to the name Messiah because they liked the way it sounded -- and appealed the decision.
Chancellor Telford Fogerty ruled today that the name change violated the constitutional separation of church and state, the Knoxville News Sentinel reported.
"I`m just glad it`s over," Martin told WBIR.
"I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn`t think a judge could make me change my baby`s name because of her religious beliefs."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price