Back to island, Norway killer reconstructs carnage
Oslo: Held tightly on a police leash, the Norwegian man who confessed to killing 69 people at an island youth camp has reconstructed his actions for police back at the crime scene.
Police said Sunday they took Anders Behring Breivik back to the island of Utoya on Saturday for a hearing about the July 22 terror attacks, when Breivik shot the victims dead on the lake island near Oslo after killing another eight people in the capital with a bomb.
The 32-year-old described the killings in close detail during an eight-hour tour on the island, prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told a press conference in Oslo.
"The suspect showed he wasn`t emotionally unaffected by being back at Utoya ... but didn`t show any remorse," Hjort Kraby said.
Images of the reconstruction published in the Norwegian daily VG show Breivik simulating shots into the water, where panicked teenagers tried to escape from him.
The hearing took place amid a massive security operation that aimed to avoid escape attempts by Breivik and protect him against potential avengers.
Breivik`s lawyer has said he has admitted to the terror attacks, but denies criminal guilt because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and Europe from Muslims and punish politicians who have embraced multiculturalism.
Initial speculation suggested others were involved in the terror attacks, but prosecutors and police have said they are fairly certain that Breivik planned and committed them on his own.
Breivik faces up to 21 years in prison if he is convicted on terrorism charges, but an alternative custody arrangement — if he is still considered a danger to the public — could keep him behind bars indefinitely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'